Fire Engulfs Local Businesses

Flames and smoke filled Market Street, Muswellbook early this morning as fire crews raced against the clock to save local businesses.

Flames engulf local businesses 

3 local business have been devastated this morning after fire broke out in the Repco building just before dawn. Fire crews were called to the scene to find that the building which houses not just Repco but TLE and Platinum Dance studio completely engulfed.

Fire crews from Aberdeen were called to assist Muswellbrook crews fight the blaze which was deemed dangerous due to the contents inside the building. Witnesses recall hearing explosions which is likely due to the flammable contents in the stores including paints.

It took local fire crews several hours to get the blaze under control as they battled to save surrounding businesses. No one was in the buildings at the time and no injuries have been reported at this stage.

Explosions were reportedly heard by locals due to flammable contents of stores. 

Chris Lavis, the owner of HoME Timber and Hardware Muswelbrook which neighbours the Repco building said it was an overwhelming site to arrive to this morning.

“My store manager called me as soon as she arrived and saw the smoke next door.” Mr Lavis said “It was an overwhelming sight to arrive to the street was full of smoke and flames, there was nothing we could do but hope for the best and let the fire crews do their job.”


Local fire crews did an outstanding job getting the business under control

“We are very grateful to the fire crews for the amazing work they have done” says Mr Lavis who admits if it had been left a little longer it could have been worse.

“It’s terrible news for the Repco, TLE and Platinum teams it’s just lucky no one was hurt.”

It is unknown at this stage how long the area will remain closed or what will happen to the now gutted building.